ORANGE SANDALWOOD

ORANGE SANDALWOOD

5/15/2010

JULIA MEETS YOKO


JULIA (or Lennon's Oedipus Rex)

Julia Stanley was a woman who was ran over a car driven by a drunken police. If there ever was a solemnly stupid death, it was Julia’s.

Julia Stanley was, by the way, John Lennon’s mom.

Julia is also a gentle, almost drowsy beautiful song, written by John.

The melody drifts away, jumping on a repeated note first, just to follow an imaginary line, as un-purposeful as the flight of a capricious butterfly.

So is this a hymn? A musical epitaph? John’s love song for his dear lost mummy?

Half of what I say is meaningless
But I say it just to reach you

So John, you telling us you spoke nonsense whenever you wanted to feel your mother’s presence? You babble as a charming act to call her attention, to bring her back from heaven?

Julia, Julia, oceanchild, calls me
So I sing a song of love, Julia

Not so easy. We’re getting psychoanalytical here (lol) …

Seemingly, “oceanchild” is English for “Yoko”.

Yes, you heard it right. Yeah, you got the idea.

Yoko appears in the middle of John’s homage to his ran over mother.

Why not?

So Yoko-Julia, Julia-Yoko, mixed up, almost interchangeable in this Lennon’s Oedipus Rex. The following scene is the imaginary and impossible introductory meeting between John’s two women.

John:  Dear Yoko, come nearer. I introduce you mamma Lennon. Mom, this is Yoko.

Julia: Well, dear, isn’t this about time, Johnny!  For how long have you been courting this girl, for Christ’s sake? [To Yoko]: Exceedingly nice to meet you dear. Johnny has told me a lot about you. You look a little pale … is that the Liverpool smog, or just your complexion, dear?

Yoko: Hi, Madame Stanley. It’s, like you say, my natural Asian completion. Very nice meeting you [to John]: Come on baby, we’re already late for my happening.

Poor Julia,
sleeping the eternal dream,
inhabiting John’s ethereal slumber
of lost youth
Rest in peace, Julia


JULIA (John Lennon, 1970)
Half of what I say is meaningless
But I say it just to reach you, 
Julia

Julia, Julia, oceanchild, calls me
So I sing a song of love, Julia
Julia, seashell eyes, windy smile, calls me
So I sing a song of love, Julia

Her hair of floating sky is shimmering, glimmering,
In the sun

Julia, Julia, morning moon, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Julia

When I cannot sing my heart
I can only speak my mind, Julia

Julia, sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Julia
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Julia, Julia, Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your commentary. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...