ORANGE SANDALWOOD

ORANGE SANDALWOOD

4/19/2010

JUST A NORMAL DAY

Just a normal day. This song has haunted me for years
Don't know why
Never cared to understand the words
but the song's tired melancholy was enough to haunt me.


Today I heard with attention
since I wanted to understand
It looks to me like the monologue
of a bipolar man
A does not understand why he's sad
why his world does not make sense
B listens but he's not interested
nor wants to understand better
He prefers to go on without yielding
to A's crap.


For purely chromatic reasons, A's text is in blue (ahah)
If you listen with headphones you may notice that both textes
are sung by different voices, and that
each one comes
through a different speaker
Metaphorical recording techniques!


But I realize that what really haunts me
is the string arrangement
To me, it lends the song the right touch
of strangeness and overwhelming feeling
When the sax solo comes
There are tears washing down the night
and redemption seems possible.
(other thoughts welcome, as always)


Just A Normal Day 
Supertramp (Crisis? What Crisis? 1976)


Woke up cryin' with the break of dawn, and,
I looked out at the sky,
The air was still, yet all the leaves were falling,
Can you tell me why?


Well, I just don't know the reason,
I don't know what to say,
it just seems a normal day,
and, I've got to live my own life,
I just can't spare the time,
But, you've got strange things on your mind

Well, I just feel, that every minute's wasted,
My life is unreal,
And anyway, I guess, I'm just not rated,
At least twice, that's how I feel


Well, I just don't know the reason,
I don't know what to say;
It just seems a normal day
And, I've got to live my own life,
I just can't spare the time;
But, you've got strange things on your mind.

Eat a lot, sleep a lot,
Passing the time away,
Maybe I'll find my way,
Who am I kidding?
Yes, it's just myself







1 comment:

  1. pues por tu nota la vuelvo a oír hoy despacito y la re-descubro como si una de mis canciones favoritas-esta!- me hablara por primera vez... precisamente preciosa y pa duplicarse tranqui casi...maybe... a normal day.... gracias!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your commentary. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...