ORANGE SANDALWOOD

ORANGE SANDALWOOD

4/05/2010

BEGINNING MY STUDIES (or the power of coincidence)




One of the things that really amaze me in SL is the power of coincidence.  I never really got an interest in Whitman. I read it since someone told me it was something profound. I browsed and found this title “Beginning my Studies”. Before reading, the restless metaphor-maker inside me told me “you’re also beginning your studies: your Ph. D in Human Sciences, from SL University. So why not read the poem and learn something from this great man?”

And I read it, and I read words that, though much better chosen than mine, meant exactly why I’m going through. What a coincidence.

Beginning My Studies
  by: Walt Whitman (1819-1892)


Beginning my studies the first step pleas'd me so much,

The m
ere fact consciousness, these forms, the power of motion,

The least insect or animal, the senses, eyesight, love,

The first step I say awed me and pleas'd me so much,

I have hardly gone and hardly wish'd to go any farther,


But stop and loiter all the time to sing it in ecstatic songs
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your commentary. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...